About Me

My photo
I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it.

Friday, August 8, 2008

Dear Adulthood,


Some mornings I awake to find you blooming faster than I had hoped or anticipated. I know you're tired of the games i've been playing. [Adulthood, I know you know the one.] I act as if I'm shocked to see you at my doorstep, and you tell me I know better. You remind me of how i've been nurturing you and taking extra care of you [and feeding you miracle grow, it seems!] to make sure you came swiftly. Oh, I was successful, though success has never made me feel so despondent. There you are, holding steady through my excuses, bright eyed and welcoming me; and I want to come with you! Anxiety seeps out of every pore and you read the fear on my face like a familiar dusty book you found holding stories you listened to as a child. [I'm out of excuses, adulthood, I don't know how to keep you away any longer] I try to compose myself, telling you I knew you were coming, I just didn't prepare myself for your arrival! [Oh, I am the worst hostess, I know] Sit down, stay a while. Don't look so impatient.
I promise I'm coming with you, adulthood, I just don't know if I am ready to face you alone yet.

1 comment:

David Robins said...

You will figure it out, love.